If you're looking for a quick, easy, and delicious meal that's ready in under 30 minutes, this one pot cajun chicken and rice is the recipe you need to make. All you need is one large pot, a few vegetables, rice, and chicken, and dinner is served. This dinner will get you in and out of the kitchen in no time, and bellies will absolutely be satisfied.
This recipe is perfect for dinner when you don't have much time, want to make a delicious meal for the family, and maybe have some leftovers for the next day.
What do I need to make this recipe?
I am fairly certain you already have a few of these, if not all, of the ingredients below for this cajun chicken and rice dish. This is an easy, uncomplicated dish!
- Chicken: Chicken breast works the best for this dish
- Rice: We use jasmine rice, but feel free to use typical white rice or basmati
- Chicken Stock: You can also use vegetable stock.
- Celery - another veggie that is common in dishes like this. We add this to the carrots and saute until tender.
- Garlic - garlic is always am important ingredient or
- Shallot:I like using shallots, they offer a different flavor than traditional onions, but if onions are all you got, go for it! You won't need more than half an onion.
- Carrots - sauteed with
- Peppers: I like to use a variety of colors for the peppers, so I opt for orange and red.
- Cajun Spice: I like using McCormick's Cajun Spice, but you can find different brands at your local store.
- Oil: to sauté the veggies and the chicken.
See the recipe card below for specific information about quantities.
How do I make this one pot recipe?
This dish comes together in just one pan, from start to finish. All that's really need is a little bit of time to let the rice absorb the liquid and letting the chicken cook.
Step 1: Start by sautéing the shallot, carrot, celery, and garlic together until fragrant and soft (3-4 minutes).
Step 2: Add in the diced chicken and let sear on all sides until almost fully cooked, approximately 5-7 minutes. Season the chicken with cajun seasoning.
Step 3: To the chicken and veggies, add in the diced red pepper and mix to combine. Add in the rice and pour in the stock. Cover the pot and let the rice and chicken cook on a medium-low flame until the rice has absorbed all of the stock, approximately 22-25 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
HINT: Once all of the moisture is evaporated, turn off the heat! You do not want to have the bottom burn and get all gloopy (which is precisely what happened when I first tested this recipe, so don't do that!)
Recipe Swaps and Substitutions
Recipes are made with baseline ingredients, and are meant to be made YOUR OWN. Feel free to swap in and sub out anything that you like or dislike:
- Protein - instead of chicken, you can use spinach or even ground turkey or beef.
- Rice - use orzo or a different type of recipe if you don't prefer jasmine rice.
- Vegetarian - the chicken can be swapped out and just made into a completely vegetarian dish. Add in mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini.
A good friend and colleague of mine, Lauren, aka Pinch of Parsley, is a vegan food blogger, and I always go to her for more plant based meals!
This one pot cajun chicken is meant to be enjoyed as is, but you can easily make it your own:
- Spicy - add a little more spice with a dash of chipotle powder or red pepper flakes.
- Protein: you can use ground turkey or even ground beef in this if you preferred!
- Add-ons - top this dish with sour cream, a little Monterey Jack cheese for fun add-ons
How do I store this recipe?
This dish won't do well in the freezer, but It will reheat well for a lunch or leftover dinner the next day! Be sure to use a well-sealed tupperware and eat within 2-3 days of cooking.
Season the chicken really well to retain the flavor, but also add another dash or so of the cajun spice in as the rice and chicken marry together in the pot as it cooks. Trust me, this will help with the flavor!
Hungry for more?
Planning our your weekly menu? Try out these other dinner ideas!
Did you like this recipe? Share it!
If you're just as in love with this recipe as I am, please share a comment below and rate it! Better yet, share this recipe with family and friends!! Thank you for being here!!
One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice
- 1 deep frying pan or pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- 2 cutting boards one for the chicken; the other for the vegetables.
- 2 measuring cups one for the rice; one for the stock
- 1 ¼ cups jasmine rice
- 2 lbs chicken breast diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ large red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot minced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 2.5 cups chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Start by sautéing the shallot, carrot, celery, and garlic together until fragrant and soft (3-4 minutes).
- Add in the diced chicken and let sear on all sides until almost fully cooked, approximately 5-7 minutes. Season the chicken with cajun seasoning.
- To the chicken and veggies, add in the red pepper and mix to combine.
- Add in the rice and pour in the stock. Cover the pot and let cook on a medium-low flame until the rice has absorbed all of the stock, approximately 22-25 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.