A classic recipe in a different shape. The famous chocolate chip muffin takes on a different form in these chocolate chip mini loaves, leaving you wondering how many other ways you can make chocolate chip muffins. The limit does not exist.
This quick bread recipe is perfect all year round, and is equally delicious as a breakfast, a snack, or even a dessert!
Like all my breakfast recipes, they inspire each other! This one is inspired by my sour cream chocolate chip muffins and my blood orange chocolate loaves. All deliciously perfect in their own way.
What are the ingredients for this recipe?
This recipe doesn't differ much from making a standard chocolate chip muffin recipe, these are just in a loaf form! Here's what you'll need:
- All-purpose flour: Baking always requires flour, whether gluten free or paleo, flour helps combine all the ingredients together and aids with the structure.
- Baking soda and Baking powder: These agents work well together to give the rise, the texture, and shape.
- Eggs: We use two eggs to help create the fluff in the mini loaves as they bake, also aiding with the structure.
- Oil: We need to add some fat into our baked goods, and I always prefer to use oil versus butter.
- Milk: A little more moisture and a touch of more fat form the whole milk aids in the moistness and mouthfeel so it doesn't taste dry.
- Vanilla extract: All good baking recipes require vanilla extract!
- Sugar: We use about ¾ cup of cane sugar in this recipe, so yes, sweet, but not super sweet.
- Chocolate chips: The most important part of a chocolate chip recipe: the chips! I love using mini chocolate chips, but discs or regular size work just as well.
See the recipe card below for specific details about quantities.
How do I make this recipe?
Making this recipe doesn't call for any fussiness with steps or instructions, so here's how we do it:
Step 1: Start by preheating the oven to 350º, then grease a mini loaf pan with nonstick spray.
Step 2:In a large bowl, crack the eggs and add in the sugar. Whisk well to combine. Add in the vanilla extract, milk, and oil and whisk again to combine.
Step 3: In the same bowl, pour in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Using a spatula, combine the ingredients together to begin to form a batter.
Step 4: Pour in the chocolate chips, and continue to mix the ingredients until the chocolate chips are fully incorporated.
Step 5: Taking a cookie scoop, scoop the batter and divide evenly among the baking pan. Place the pan in the oven for 23 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before taking out of the pan.
HINT: Remember to let the batter sit on the counter for at least 15-20 minutes, this allows the baking soda and baking powder to work and gives the loaf/bread a nicer rise and an airy texture.
Recipe Swaps and Substitutions
Gluten free? Dairy free? Here are some swaps and substitution suggestions to make this recipe fit your needs:
- Gluten free flour: this won’t really change the bake time, but it will alter the taste and texture. I swear by Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour, which you can find on Thrive Market or in a variety of other stores.
- Milk: if you want to make this dairy free, swap out the regular milk for almond or oat milk!
- Sugar: if you don't want to use cane sugar, you can swap for coconut sugar.
Here are some ways you can serve up this recipe:
- Serve on a breakfast board or as a snack for after a kiddos practice.
- They are fun to split in half, toast, and slather with butter. Yes, butter. Butter makes everything better.
- Cut the mini loaves into smaller bites and layer into a trifle.
How do I store these mini loaves? Can I freeze them?
These mini loaves will do well on the counter for up to 3-4 days in a tightly sealed tupperware container. If you would like to place them in the freezer, I highly recommend you do so in a ziplock bag with a label on it, indicating the date the muffins were baked.
Defrost them approximately 30-40 minute before you'd like to eat or serve them. These muffins should be defrosted and consumed within one month.
Sprinkle a little demerara sugar on top of the muffins for a little added crunch and sweetness.
Hungry for More?
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Did you like this recipe? Share it!
If you're just as in love with this recipe as I am, please share a comment below and rate it! Better yet, share this recipe with family and friends!! Thank you for being here!!
Chocolate Chip Mini Loaves
- 1 mini loaf pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
- kitchen scale optional
- 150 grams sugar ¾ cup
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 256 grams all purpose flour 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º and grease a mini loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and add in the sugar. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in the vanilla extract, milk, and oil and whisk again to combine.
- In the same bowl, pour in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Using a spatula, combine the ingredients together to begin to form a batter.
- Pour in the chocolate chips, and continue to mix the ingredients until the chocolate chips are fully incorporated.
- Taking a cookie scoop, scoop the batter and divide evenly among the baking pan. Place the pan in the oven for 23 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before taking out of the pan.