There are breakfast recipes, and then, there are BREAKFAST recipes. I am a huge fan of french toast, so it's a no brainer that I had to create this deliciously easy pear and brown sugar french toast bake recipe. Incredibly caramelized pear tossed together with brown sugar and brioche, baked to perfect... I mean, it's a brunch dream!
French toast bakes, or casseroles, are excellent for gatherings like a brunch with friends, with family, or even hosting an event! I actually love prepping a french toast bake for meal prep breakfasts, too. Plus, if you're looking to make this for a crowd the next day, you can make this as an overnight french toast bake and it's just as perfect.
What are the ingredients for this recipe?
This recipe calls for very standard french toast ingredients, with the addition of pears and brown sugar. French toast is a great meal to make because it really doesn't require much, and ends up tasting amazing. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Brioche Bread
- Vanilla Extract or Paste
- Brown Sugar
See the recipe card for specific information about quantities.
How do I make this recipe?
When making this recipe, we do so in two stages: preparing the brioche and the egg mixture, and then caramelizing the pears. Nevertheless, this recipe comes together in a very short time, and with a short bake in the oven, you'll be devouring this in just under 30 minutes.
Caramelize the pears in butter until soft and golden brown. Add in spices and ¼ c of the brown sugar then set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Dice the challah into small pieces and layer into an oven-safe baking dish.
Pour egg mixture over the entire challah, making sure each cube of bread is soaked with the egg mixture. Then, pour the caramelized pears on top of the soggy brioche.
Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top of the bread mixture. Bake at 375°for 28m.
Hint: Be sure to cover all of the bread really well when pouring the egg and milk mixture so that all of the bread gets nice and soft as it bakes.
Recipe Swaps and Substitutions
This recipe is based on using regular brioche. However, if you are gluten-sensitive or celiac, or even dairy free, here are some swaps and substitutions I would recommend:
- Gluten Free - Swap out the regular brioche for a gluten-free version.
- Milk - Swap out the whole milk for almond milk.
- Butter - for caramelizing the pears, use a vegan or plant-butter like Wesson or Miyokos.
- Fruit - swap in any fruit that you'd like if pears aren't your thing.
Glow up this already incredibly french toast bake with some of these serving variations:
- Powdered Sugar - add a dusting of powdered or confectioner's sugar on top of the french toast bake before serving.
- Cream Cheese - add in some cream cheese prior to baking to give the entire bake a creamy flavor.
- Add Nutella - if you want to ladle a little nutella on top after it bakes, or even drizzle on top, it will be a fabulously decadent treat.
- Overnight - you can make this the night before, cover with aluminum foil, then unwrap and bake the next morning!
Kitchen Equipment and Tools
This recipe is done in two stages: prepping the bake itself, and caramelizing the pears that are poured on top of the egg soaked brioche. The few items you would need from your kitchen in order to prep and bake this would be:
- A large mixing bowl - to whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon
- A large baking dish - for the actual bake itself.
- A whisk
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Frying pan - to caramelize the pears.
How do I store this recipe? Can I freeze it?
This french toast bake will do well in the fridge for up to 4 days in a tightly sealed tupperware container. If you would like to place this in the freezer, I highly recommend you do so in the dish it was baked in, wrapped with plastic wrap with a label on it, indicating the date the dish was baked. Consume within one month.
Add some dollops of cream cheese into the brioche and then bake it. This will give the french toast bake a creamier flavor and texture.
Hungry for More?
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Easy Pear and Brown Sugar French Toast Bake Recipe
- 1 oven safe casserole dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 cutting board
- 1 frying pan
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 large pears diced
- 1 loaf brioche bread cubed
- 100 grams brown sugar ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Caramelize the pears in butter until soft and golden brown. Add in spices and ¼ c of the brown sugar then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Dice the challah into small pieces and layer into an oven-safe baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over the entire challah, making sure each cube of bread is soaked with the egg mixture. Then, pour the caramelized pears on top of the soggy brioche.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top of the bread mixture. Bake at 375°for 20-22m.