Garlic bread is such a classic side that goes well with just about every Italian dish that comes to mind. What I love most about it is the flavors that come from the garlic, the butter, and in this case, fresh herbs from my garden! Let me show you how to make the best herbed garlic bread that will grace your dinner table time and time again.
I don't typically associate garlic bread with any season, but I know it's typically a recipe that is made when the temps are a bit cooler.
What are the ingredients for this recipe?
Garlic bread ingredients are simple, and if you've got fresh herbs from the garden, it's even easier! No stress though, these herbs can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- Italian Bread
- Garlic - remember to add this, because when I tested this recipe again, I forgot the garlic, but honestly, it's pretty amazing without!
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Thyme
See the recipe card below for specific information about quantities.
How do I make this recipe?
Making this recipe takes minimal time from the time you slice open the Italian bread to the slicing of the garlic bread and serving, another reason why I am confident this is going to be on repeat in your home!
Preheat the oven to 350º and prepare a baking sheet. Take the Italian loaf and slice in half lengthwise, then set on the baking sheet. In a food processor, add the butter, garlic, and fresh herbs. Blend until almost all the butter has softened and combined with the herbs and garlic.
Taking the back of a spoon or a spatula, spread the herbed garlic butter evenly across both sides of bread. Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 or until the butter melts and the sides of the bread gets golden and crisp. Slice into even pieces.
HINT: If there are some clumps when blending the butter, herbs, and garlic together, it is okay! The butter will melt nicely as the bread bakes anyway.
Recipe Swaps and Substitutions
Looking to make this recipe, but have a gluten allergy, or would prefer not to use cow's butter? Here's some of the swaps I would recommend:
- Bread - swap out for a gluten free bread of your choice.
- Butter - you can easily use a plant butter or vegan-friendly butter like Wesson or Miyokos
- Herbs - if you don't (or can't find) like oregano or thyme, simply leave out and use basil! It's just as delicious.
How do I serve this recipe?
There is virtually no bad recipe to serve this with. Here are a few of my favorite ways to add this crispy side dish to:
- With pasta - Try adding this recipe to my baked ziti or pasta primavera recipe, I guarantee you'll love it.
- With seafood
- With chicken
- As a sandwich - Instead of slicing the garlic bread into smaller pieces, slice it in half and layer in grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, mozzarella, and some arugula, DELISH!
Kitchen Equipment and Tools
You won't need many crazy or intricate kitchen tools for this recipe, but one thing I highly recommend having is a trusty food processor. I love my Ninja Kitchen Professional 3-in-1, which comes with a processor, small blender, and larger blender. You can find it here.
Other than that, here's what you will need:
- Large baking sheet
- Cutting Board
- Bread knife
How do I store this recipe? Can I freeze it?
This recipe can be made and stored in a tightly sealed container or ziplock bag and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat by preheating the oven to 300º and heating the bread for 10 minutes.
Free free to also freeze this! Add the garlic bread to a freezer-safe container or bag and thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat as directed above.
Hungry for More?
Looking for a delicious recipe to pair this with? Check these out!
How to Make The Best Herbed Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 food processor
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 spatula
- 1 cutting board
- 1 large italian bread or baguette
- 5 tablespoon butter salted
- 3 oz fresh basil
- 2 oz fresh oregano
- 2 oz fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350º and prepare a baking sheet.
- Take the Italian loaf and slice in half lengthwise, then set on the baking sheet.
- In a food processor, add the butter, garlic, and fresh herbs. Blend until almost all the butter has softened and combined with the herbs and garlic.
- Taking the back of a spoon or a spatula, spread the herbed garlic butter evenly across both sides of bread.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 or until the butter melts and the sides of the bread gets golden and crisp. Slice into even pieces.